Friday, February 14, 2014

SNOW!!

I couldn't take it anymore.  My little dog needed to go outside, and as I stepped out onto our deck, I saw it again - over 1 foot of snow covering our back deck.

We don't get a lot of snow here in Pennsylvania.  But this winter has been different.  We have had record amounts of snowfall, record low temperatures, and so many school closings & delays my kids will be going to school until July (well at least it feels that way!)

So snow removal has become a weekly chore at my house.  Unfortunately, because we don't use the back deck, it has remained snow covered for a few weeks.

But not anymore.

I knew the snow would be heavy.  I knew there would be a layer of ice somewhere buried among the foot of snow.  I knew it wouldn't be easy.  But I just couldn't take it anymore.

I began to clear a pathway so I could walk all the way around.  Then I began to remove from the top to bottom, beginning with the table, going to the chairs, and finally the deck itself. (Note to self for next winter, move all the deck furniture under the overhang so it doesn't get covered in snow).  As I removed the snow, I could see the wood deck peek thru the layers of snow & ice.  I felt like I removed 1,000 pounds of snow.  It was silly, but I felt like the deck sighed a sigh of relief!  It could breathe again!  It could see the sunlight again!  It didn't take long for the fine layer of ice at the bottom of all the snow to melt away.

It made me think of spring.  We will be so happy for spring, here in my small town!  We are all fed up with snow at this point!

My memories took me back in time.  I went back to the fall when I prayed to God that we'd get lots of snow this winter.  I love snow!  I definitely have had my fill this year!  I went back to my childhood - I went back to playing with my sisters & brother in the snow, building snow forts, snowball fights, and finally coming inside after we couldn't feel our legs anymore.  It was a good memory.

Removing the snow also gave me some time to think & be by myself!  Which was a nice break from my day!

Well it's Valentine's Day - and I have my husband all to myself!  BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment